Monday, July 11, 2011

Ch. 5- May I Have The Envelope Please?

THE TEXTS BOYS ENJOY AND WHY THEY ENJOY THEM

This chapter focuses on why boys choose the types of texts they do and what they actually get out of certain texts.  In the previous chapters the authors have mentioned that boys choose texts for different reasons. 

Many reasons the boys choose what they do is because they feel a sense of personal connection to the reading. They liked stories that had underdogs and villains and strongly related to many of the characters in certain types of readings.  The boys seemed to prefer readings that prompted interesting discussion for them and involved movement when discussing.

Many of the boys used technology to engage in reading and writing and expressed that they found this helped them socially. Materials that were engaging and motivating kept the boys interested in reading. Visual stimulation played an important part in what they boys seemed drawn to and texts that were explorable and sustain engagement through multiple perspectives and powerful ideas were all texts that the boys were drawn to. Funny texts were also a type of writing that they boys seemed to enjoy and kept going back to.

Developing a relationship between reader and characters from a text is important to keep the reader interested.  This can be done with just a little bit of effort. If a teacher takes the time to get to know their students they can offer texts that are engaging and interesting to the reader.  Activities that help a student make a connection can be done throughout the reading.  Helping a student make a connection even before the reading begins will help draw the reader in and want to read. If activities are done during the reading the reader is better at applying what they are reading and make connections to the world around them.  After the reading is complete having students identify with the reading allows them to apply their reading to what they already know and helps them to feel as if they have established a relationship with the text.

I liked this chapter the most. I felt as if it gave useful ideas that can be applied in any classroom to help any type of learner.  These are things that as a college student I can do with myself to help me be a better reader and learner.  

1 comment:

  1. This was my favorite chapter in the book. I found myself identifying with these boys on so many of their struggles. I'm a learner that needs visual aids in order to comprehend what I'm reading. For example in Biology; I really need to see videos to help me understand concepts where reading just confuses me. A visual aid always puts things into proper context (for me).

    ReplyDelete